My name is Phil Thwaite and I am a Musician based in York, UK. This site is to tell you more about myself, what I do for a living and inform you about the kind of work I can do for you.
I really hope you enjoy visiting the site. If you have any queries about the work I could do for you or for any site feedback, please contact me using the contact details on this site.
I am a Guitarist, Bass Player, Composer & Teacher. I have fulfilled a diverse amount of roles yet do not consider myself to be a'Jack of all Trades' and 'Master of None'. It is the variety that keeps my passion fresh and I always aim to do everything to the best of my ability. Please read on for more information.
- Classical- I have studied this as my main instrument, played solo recitals, weddings, functions, duets and ensembles.
- Acoustic - largely the best way I express my own ideas. I have been influenced by solo players, performing covers and mainly original compositions using alternate tunings as a soloist and occasionally as a duo or part of a group. I also write songs for use primarily in Christian Worship, but also am familiar with mainstream music, particularly with teaching this style to others.
- Electric - my main passion as a younger player, spending a lot of time improvising and transcribing material. I am a very creative player and my strengths lie in Blues, Rock & Metal but I am able to adapt quickly to most styles. I also play Indie, Pop, Reggae, Funk & Jazz. From light background lines to thrash metal rhythm riffs. I love the challenge of studio work, adding lines to someone else's work or arranging. I also give a lot of creative advice to people stuck in a rut with their own playing/writing.
- Theatre - Playing for shows, good reading ability
- Jazz (Trio to Big Band) - good reading, chord interpretation & improvisation ability
- Studio/Recording Work - Creative lines to other songwriters work, see styles covered below
- Styles - Blues, Rock, Metal, Jazz, Funk, Slap/Pop, Double Tapping
- Solo - I like to write/arrange my own solo material as well as learning covers. I enjoy using looping technology to improvise solo pieces.
- Previous Work - I have done work for Wedding Processional/Exit Music, Special Anniversaries, Freestyle Dressage, Original work for Choreographers to use with Dance Groups etc.
- Commissions - Individually tailored to suit your occasion e.g. Wedding Music, Anniversary Dressage, Advertising, Soundtracks for Films or Computer Games. I am happy to try and cater for a wide variety of instrumentation. I have written for soloists, duos, trios, quartets and larger ensembles such as Concert Bands.
Teacher (23 Yrs):
- Guitar & Bass Guitar - individually tailored, one-to-one, personal goal orientated, short courses, Master Classes & Workshops
- Classical Grades - Trinity Guildhall Grades - Initial - Grade 8
- Contemporary Grades - Trinity Rockschool - Debut to Grade 8
- Master Classes/Workshops - Tailored to your request on specific techniques or broader experience on any of the above, in Schools/Colleges/University, Corporate Team Building (through having to work in ensemble), Festivals etc.
- Short Courses - Tailored upon request. For example: 'Introduction to using the Guitar in Primary School' (6 week course: 1 session per week) aimed at Teachers for use in Classroom or assembly or 'Expanding Chord Interpretation for Bass guitar' (Evening event with refreshments/'jamming' opportunity)
- Clientele - People of all ages & experiences in all styles listed above, Grades or personal Goals, ensemble leading/mentoring etc.
My wife and I hired Phil to play before, during and after our wedding ceremony... we were both so pleased that we did. Before the day itself Phil came over to our house to talk about music that we like and whether he wanted anything personal included (which we did). He kept in touch via email and sent us mp3 files of the pieces of music that we'd asked him to arrange for us.
On the big day itself Phil was great and helped to create the atmosphere that we'd wanted for our guests. Lot's of our friends and family commented on how refreshing it was to have a solo guitarist. My wife and I we couldn't have wished for anyone to be any better.
Great job... so happy that he was recommended to us in the first place.
November 28, 2012, Nathan was Phil's client
Tim Farnhill - Professional Music Services:
Phil is an excellent musician and teacher; he was very popular with and respected by students and colleagues alike. I would recommend him without hesitation for any guitar teaching, music or education role.
November 27, 2012, Tim managed Phil at Queen Ethelburga's College
Josephine Peach - Independent Music Professional:
Phil is one of those rare people who have a very quiet and modest manner but underneath that is a serious, well-trained, highly experienced and always enthusiastic musician. He is gentle but very firm and sensibly convinced of what he can do both as a highly professional player and as a very kind and sympathetic person. He needs more real recognition - there aren't many musicians of his type or style and he is a perfect colleague.
July 26, 2015, Josephine taught Phil at University of York St John
Alan Shadrack. BA M.Ed, FRSA:
"It is with much pleasure that I am able to write this testimonial for Phil Thwaite, an outstanding, patient and committed teacher who has taught my son both classical and electric guitar during the past five years. My son finds him extremely friendly, patient and committed to explaining or demonstrating how to improve technique. He goes through everything thoroughly and provides excellent advice. He is very encouraging and builds confidence, often overrunning allotted time to complete his lesson. Phil provides enjoyable sessions and excellent advice with notable success in preparing pupils for examination where appropriate. My son both admires and respects Phil for everything that he has done to bring out the best in his playing and understanding. I have been amazed at the talent and ability he has encouraged in my son and the progress he has facilitated both in terms of graded exams, enjoyment and self-esteem.
Whilst as Acting Headteacher at Stamford Bridge Primary School and subsequently as governor, I can confirm that Phil was widely respected and sought after as a tutor in our community.
I would recommend him as a guitar tutor and teacher without reservation."
21st October 2012
I just wanted to say a massive thank you for all the effort you put into the music for Zoe's Wedding, we very much appreciated it. Both at the Civil Service and in the Chapel, your contribution really helped to make it the magical event that it was.
When Zoe said that she wanted classical guitar, both Sally and I were a bit reluctant but I have to say that it was perfect. Many of our friends commented on your playing.
I am sorry I never really got a chance to to say thank you on the day but I hope, in the circumstances, you will forgive me. But if you would like any recommendations please feel free to send them in our direction.
Your arrangement of 'In a Country Churchyard' and the effort you put into that will not be forgotten - it really helped to make it a very special day.
Sally set out to make sure that the music for her big sister's wedding was special and I think that with your contribution and the contribution of Paul and the Choir, she certainly achieved that!
We are all very grateful.
With all best wishes for your future playing,
26th September 2011